Working from home has it's challenges. If you are anything like me there comes a day | of the week, of the month, of the year | when file organizing and de-cluttering is so much needed.
So, if you want things to run smoothly (so hard to accomplish sometimes!) you need to take some time of to organize your chaotic + but extremely creative office space. Here's some tips to accomplish that perfect spot called 'office zenland'.
- Dress your funkiest t-shirt.
- Make a gorgeous diy up-do.
- Put your most energized song playing and let's embrace this challenge.
- Clean + de-clutter your pretty desk.
- Organize your files. You need to have a system in place so you can find 'what you need when you need it'. You can easily organize all documents using a system of colors + years for the different areas of business. Example: 'Red is for Marketing, 2014', and so on.
- Make a creative use of your calendar + 'to-do' lists + post-it's. Before you go to bed + or early in the morning (it really depends on how you organize yourself) 'jot down' all your 'to-do's' for the day. Organizing your calendar + 'to-do's lists is pretty simple, and you can use the same system of colors for each area you'll need to tackle down.
- Organize in the correct place everything that does not belong to your office. Yes, that means the coffee & tea mugs + the chocolate bars (at the least the empty papers) + etc.
- Clear you desk. Remove everything that does not belong there + or might be a source of distraction.
- Organize + clean your desktop. This is a really hard one for me. But be brave and get your hands dirty + create some pretty files + get rid of all 'the junk' you still keep.
- Email love. Who's with me on this one? Please, don't just let your emails pilling up in the inbox. Create some email folders and distribute them correctly. Areas? People? Act? Read? File? Delegate? You have endless possibilities + on gmail you can also add color to those folders.
- Start including this de-clutter activity every end of the week + organize the week ahead. Don't let the messiness pile up on your desk. You'll certainly feel more pumped to embrace your work + your free time.
- Dance + have some fun. Because after all this work you deserve it.
P.S. Need some help organizing your email? I can help!